Monday, January 7, 2013

13 Days!

  The number thirteen is ominous for some but has never affected Kurt or myself.  I used to collect four leaf clovers as a kid & just ran across some the other day. I also found my Eyeore from when I was a kid... oh the things you find when you are trying to purge households!

  In thirteen days we leave for full-time ministry in Hungary - wow! We are excited, exhausted, enthused and encouraged. We also hope you are too! I think the picture of Eyeore sums it up best of how we feel:)

  Learning Hungarian here in the states has been interesting - from our Pimsleur edition to an actual Hungarian teaching her mother tongue both have been a blessing and all those in between and funny stories besides:

   I was walking through Costco after work one day, list in hand and earbuds in to mimic the Hungarian I was struggling to learn. As I would go up and down the aisles like an automatron, concentrating on listening & repeating, I would periodically become aware of someone startled next to me or around me. After a number of times with this happening, I finally came out of the "zone" and realized that it was the same person! I tried to make sure to keep an eye out so I would not appear as a stalker, but I was concentrating so hard trying to listen and repeat exactly what was said, it just kept happening!

    One aisle I went down, I happened to look up, and there this woman was with her child. Seeing me, she quickly turned around and left the aisle. I had to laugh, even though I felt bad. I could only imagine hearing, "Stalking Hungarian learners, next on Geraldo!"

  By the time I was in the check out line I had had some great practice times without the startled people anywhere around. Standing there, unloading my items onto the conveyor belt it was time for me to repeat what was said, so I did, as usual.  The person in front of me in line straightened and turned my direction so quickly, I thought something happened behind me, so I looked. Nothing. I looked back at the person in front... and yes, you guessed it... The lady and child were in front!  I tried to ask a question in English, but she nearly ran away. I could hear the child ask her something in a different language - maybe Russian or Ukrainian. Sadly, I never did get to ask he my question. So, I pray for them both periodically when this "stalker lady" is speaking Hungarian as I listen to my iPod...

  Now I am realizing that in 13 days I won't have to only have an ipod in order to hear Hungarian! I better keep practicing how to say, "I am sorry, but you speak too quickly."

No comments:

Post a Comment