Tuesday, January 8, 2013

12 days!


Wow - twelve days left before we head out to a life we can’t imagine what will bring forth minute by minute.  Here in the states, if you move from one part of the country to another, you can at least expect similar people, reactions, transportation, housing, heating, traditions, shopping experiences, language and cultural nuances.

Where we are going, you emphasis only the front of the word in speaking, you go grocery shopping everyday, pay bills differently, look differently, don’t smile or laugh as you go through your routine (they will think you are drunk or insane), live minimally, speak a different language, and greet everyone in the restaurant as you enter and leave.

I feel as though I will be a mute/deaf person - unable to communicate with most people. While I know mentally that most jobs in Hungary require a good working knowledge of English, I also know that unless the people speak it very well, they would rather not because it isn’t perfect.... until they will hear me speak my Hungarian - small and halting as it is so far. I am also afraid my German will be flowing right back in rather than Hungarian, creating a really muddled mix. Hmm, maybe I should add my minimal Spanish to it as well?? No, I think I will just keep up with my Hungarian.

Then just getting around.... without mountains to guide us with directions, street signs will mostly have "utca" at the end, transportation challenges - a car is highly recommended, though we haven't been able to raise enough money for one, so we are praying in one (feel free to join us on that!). Meanwhile, different schedules, time reading (24 hr. clock), which tram to get... you get the idea. I wonder if we will feel like toddlers again, wanting to stay really close to our teammates so we don't get lost. 

Then, all the details to wrap up here.  I (Carrie) am saying goodbye to my mom and sister & friends right now before we are gone for a long time, so Kurt is getting the fun job of continuing to sort.  Yeah, pray:)

No comments:

Post a Comment