Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Dancing with the Trees

   The fall here has been beautiful. The other day I was off to encourage some friends & after I spent some time with them, I drove up the road a bit towards one of my favorite places that reminds me of being in the mountains, somewhat.  On the way there, the road twists and turns on itself quite a bit, (which is another reason it is my favorite), and with every bend, the trees were lined up alongside the road, one color after another - some plum, some yellow, some red, some still green, some brown and nearly bare. It was like watching a fancy ball with all the ladies' dresses passing by as they swung around the room!
    The sun kept playing hide-and-seek, highlighting first one tree, then another with no rhyme or reason, other that to have a special show of the glory of God for me as I drove along the road.
    Curving around another bend, I slowed as I came upon a gorgeous red fox with it's big, bushy tail straight out behind as it crossed the road. The colors of the fox picked up the color of the trees on either side of a yellow one it had just passed, making the fox look like yet another decoration for this beautiful autumn day.
  Up a hill, down into a hollow, a thatched roofline over an old, long, house - a style they call "peasant house" that has a long covered porch along the side. The place offers food and a place to sleep as the owners try to make ends meet on a road that tourists or locals living there drive along, yet don't often stop until they get to their destination. Hope still lights the man's eyes as he walks out, hearing a car coming up the road, then passes on like so many others. People don't stop like they used to - stop to breathe the air, stop to take photos from certain places, stop to just gaze at valleys or hillsides or just to give thanks to the One who created it all. I am guilty of that, though I gave plenty of thanks as I drove along looking at the colors of the hillsides changing and the way the light played and the structures of the trees really starts to show again after the leaves fall.
    How many of us are those who hear and hope with anticipation, yet once again others are too busy to stop and talk to us?  Or are we the ones who have the Hope of Christ within, yet zoom by, 'too busy' or too afraid of being rejected, or too afraid to try?  People are stopping, people are noticing that we have something NOTICEABLE within us... and hope....will you take time to stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment